Sunday, October 3, 2010

New Things

Its weird to think that I’ve been here for three weeks on tuesday already. It seems like it hasn't been that long but at the same time it feels like i've been here longer. I still have not discovered if this is something good, or if it is something bad. I can’t even describe how many things I have learned to you all. Just thinking about listing them makes me feel overwhelmed. If you can imagine me imagining all the things I’ve learned and feeling stressed, I think that might be pretty decent insight into how much knowledge I’m gaining. Susie has come up with a really great system of keep track of it all; for each new subject that I learn about, whether it be food/nutrition/tack/health care/barn management/theory, I start a new notebook to fill. She was showing me all of hers and it was cool to see them in the bookcase and think that I was one day going to know all of the things in those in addition to what I had filled with my notebooks. So, needless to say, today I went to target and I now have four notebooks that are ready to be filled. Ha, and it’s only been two weeks and 5 days.

Mom and dad left almost a week ago to go back home. It was nice to have them here. Mom got to ride while dad ran errands to figure out how to get the internet (I finally have it in my room, thank you dad). We went to laguna beach and oh my god was it beautiful. We, regretfully, didn’t bring our swimsuits. It was so frustrating because the water was nice once you got used to it, and the ocean is always tempting you to go into it. We walked along the beach and let the sun soak into our skin. It was fun to think that I was wearing shorts and a tee-shirt on the beach, wading in the water at the end of September. It was fun to know that the beach is only thirty minutes away from me now. I am definitely going there on one of my days off. Anyways, we went to the Cliff for dinner and all I can say is yum. We sat outside, on the cliff obviously, and ate dinner. The sunset was pink and as the glowing sun dropped into the water, Catalina was a black anchor out in the ocean. Then once the sun was a hot pink sliver on the horizon, the entire sky lit up bright orange, a light pink, magenta, pale pale yellow, and streaks of light gray. It was so perfect. I love the ocean almost as much as i love horses.


Last wednesday was one of the most mischievous days i've had in a while. Susie and I got up at 6 and left the house to start our trip to the Santa Anita racetrack to watch the morning workouts. We were in the car, in traffic, for an hour and a half. Keep in mind this place is less than 30 minutes away with clear freeways. We finally got there and discovered that there were no horses on the grounds. Bummer. However, the security guard said we could go and look around. Not a bummer. Needless to say, we pulled some pretty sneaky stuff. It started out innocent...just walking around in the stands (did i mention the backdrop for the bright green, manicured track is mountains and gorgeous palm trees?), exploring hallways, stairways, etc. Then we somehow found our way to the jockeys door and quickly snapped a photo of me in front of it. Then we magically got to walk on the racetrack itself and i got to take a picture at the starting gate, and from the winners circle. It was beyond cool to be that sneaky and get to do that. It was so amazing to walk on the track and think about all of the famous racehorses that had won there, especially Seabiscuit. Walking around and seeing all the old, beautiful architecture made me imagine what it would be like back in the day. There must have been so much excitement radiating from that track. Being there made me realize i actually do like historical outings, as long as i know enough about the place i'm exploring. After we left the track we went to a tack store and spent four and a half hours there. I learned more things i didn't know. Then after that, it got even better. Before i continue, however, i have to let you in on something that was put into play a week or two back. So, susie had come to the conclusion that she needed a barn kitty. Or two for that matter. They were needed because there are mice that like to hide behind the tack trunks, and there are people at the barn who like kitties, and what's a barn without a cat? So, with the need for kitties, we thought it would be a good idea to stop at the humane society on our way back home. Not such a great idea. We got to the kitty room, and were immediately sucker punched by the adorable, mewing kittens. We walked around trying to ignore the little ones because they would take too long to learn how to hunt. We found these two boy cats that we thought would be good candidates and asked if we could take them out. The lady who was working said they were on hold. Shoot. So we walked around the corner, and there they were. There were two pairs of blue eyes, and a pair of brown staring at us. As we walked closer, one started reaching his paw out at us. Like i said, we were sucker punched. Before we knew it, we were walking out the door with merlin, rolls royce, and alison. Oh boy. I mean, we couldn't leave just the one right? All three were necessary, or at least that's what we had to keep telling ourselves. They are so squeezable and lovable. Except for when they claw at my eyelashes when i sleep, and attack my feet when i walk across my room. I'm laughing to myself because i know that all of my friends tell me i'm going to be a cat lady one day. Well i guess that day came, and the worst part is i couldn't help it. Now i have three little kittens that lounge on my bed, and play in my hair. Oh and did i tell you there are horses ten feet away from me at all times and the ocean is only thirty minutes away? Life is good. Now just transport my family, friends, and horse and life is perfect.


I know that this entry is extremely long but there is just one, small, simple thing i remembered; i have had deja vu so many times at the barn it is scary. I don't know about you but i believe that everything happens for a reason, and i think i'm getting deja vu because i'm really supposed to be here. Every time it starts happening, i giggle to myself and smile because at that moment everything feels right. It's a great feeling.


Well thanks for reading. I hope i always keep you smiling and entertained. Until next time....

love,

-greer

No comments:

Post a Comment