Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Five weeks

Wow. Five whole weeks, has it really been so long already? At home, waiting five weeks for something would seem like forever but here they just fly by.

Raven finally got here two days ago. I can't even begin to describe the relief/happiness/excitement/comfort i felt the second i saw him. He got here at 430 in the morning and i stayed up with him all day. I don't know how i did it. I was so impressed by his confidence as he started to settle in and show me that he is the bravest horse i know. Within three hours he was acting like he had been here all his life. I took him out in the afternoon and let him meander around in the covered arena. He was curious with everything, but especially skeptical about the cows across the way. I think their horns have him wondering. Today he kept a younger horse company in the turnout pen and didn't stress when rain started coming down...after all he is from Minnesota. Later in the day he got to split an apple with me as i sat on my trunk outside his stall waiting for the rain to get quiet. He is going to get so spoiled be so close to me all the time. He's already started nickering at me ever so softly when i walk past him. I love it.

The kittens are driving me insane at night. They have gotten bigger, noisier, even more curious, and clumsy. They sit in my hair and chew on it, run over my face, chase my feet when i move around under the covers, pounce onto one another and roll on the floor, and attack my shoes that are placed neatly against the wall each night (every morning they are in a different spot then when i left them, especially my sneakers which they somehow drag around by the laces). Usually when they wake me up i only have enough energy to moan in annoyance and try to fall back asleep. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. I've started playing with them at night after letting them stuff their bellies with food, all in an effort to make them less rowdy throughout the night. It helps, thankfully. I just don't understand why every time i come into the room during the day they are curled up in balls sleeping and when i come in at night they decide to cause a ruckus. I never even considered how much different having three kittens in a little room compared to a house would be. It's very different. Good thing i adore them like crazy.

My riding is getting so, so, so much better. It's so fun to get on a horse and work with it in such a better, more efficient way. During each ride i am constantly repeating things Susie has told me to do in my head. I need to work on a lot still but the improvement i have made feels great. I am so excited to see how much more everything changes within the next month.

I've noticed the lack of how great fires smell here. I think a huge part of the feeling of it being fall is being outside and starting to smell people's fires in their houses. You don't smell that here because its the burning season. Everything is dry and ready to burst into flames if one lick of a fire gets loose. It's too bad because that smell against a cold, crisp night is so good. I am excited to go home at Christmas, walk around at night and smell fires. I'm excited to be bundled up in a coat and my snow boots and hear the crunching of the snow underneath my feet. I'm excited to see big, white snowflakes fall. The time between now and then is going to go by before i know it.

So that's whats going on with me for now. There are tons of other things but i am way too tired to think of them right now. Maybe next time...

love,
greer

No comments:

Post a Comment