Thursday, September 16, 2010

OH MY GOD

hey everybody! i have to admit it feels really strange to say that because i'm not actually talking to you. i'm just writing whats going on with my new, crazy, exciting adventure for whoever wants to know. i thought this would be the easiest way to keep anyone who wants to know, up to date.

ok wow. how can i even explain how my life has done a complete 180 within the last 48 hours. I am halfway across the country, trees are prickly looking, family is reached only through phone, days start at 7 AM and end at 10 PM, mountains are always in my line of sight, summer is back, and horses are not twenty minutes away anymore. so many things have happened since i've been here, and all of them have been great. I can't believe its only been two days. i need to get used to feeling like a sponge that needs to soak everything that's laid in front of me, up. there is going to be so, so, SO much to learn.

the first morning i was here we went to another barn to give lessons, and this place was unlike anything i've ever seen. the house was situated on top of a tiny hill and as you walked to the side of it, the little sanctuary made itself known. It was this adorable, little barn tucked away like a hidden paradise with a half arena tucked next to tall, flowery hedges. it's crazy that out here, the smallest piece of land is allowed horses. my mom has always said that she wants her dream barn to be connected to the kitchen, and here i think that would be possible. maybe. it was so cool and satisfying to be immersed into learning so quickly upon getting out here. I sat watching lessons and learning, and thought to myself "this is my life for the next year and a half, how lucky am i?"

i wake up each morning to walk across the hall to go to the bathroom and the horses can't stop talking to me; they think i've been awake long enough to give them food. little do they know, i am half asleep. the mornings are cold and crisp and the sun glows orange through the barn and bounces off the hills past the arena. there's not much green, but soon there will be. the time passes so quickly because i am constantly busy with something. for example, today in my "downtime" i vacuumed all the spiders and cobwebs out from the tack room. never in my life have i felt so creeped out, yet satisfied at the same time. it's going to be a weekly thing now. this morning i rode and it felt good to be on a horse. raven isn't here yet and i am beyond anxious for him to be. his stall is directly across from my room and i can't wait to wake up, give him a kiss, then go brush my teeth. i also can't wait to start working with him and see how he develops. ahhh so exciting!!

My goals are: learn everything, make mistakes, stay out of everyones way as much as possible or just be helpful, have fun, and get Susan's dog to stop barking at me. Also to trap the elusive barn kitty that sneaks around at night. Oh and not to get bit by a black widow. Easy enough. The one hard part will be not being homesick. I've already felt pangs of it here and there but being busy helps more than i could have imagined. Besides, once raven is here i will be fine. But it's not just him i miss.

well thanks for reading! I hope i kept you interested enough that you actually got to this part. until next time...

love,
greer

1 comment:

  1. GREER!!! Way to go! It sounds like you are having such an incredible time! I'm sorry to hear that the dog is not your biggest fan, but I'm sure, in time, he will turn :-) Also, black widows!!! WTF! stay safe pleaseee. I miss you but it sure helps to know how amazing you are doing.

    Keep up the post!

    Love,

    Emmie

    ReplyDelete